Ceremony FAQ

What do I need to get married?

The bare essentials you need to get married are two people who want to be married, two witnesses, a marriage licence, and a licensed marriage commissioner (like me!). Anything else you want to add (rings, guests, fancy clothes, food…) that’s all icing on the cake, if you will.

Who can get married?

Any two unmarried people who are consenting can get married in Saskatchewan. There are special requirements if you are under 18.

How do I get a marriage licence?

You can obtain a marriage licence at many different locations. You both must be present to obtain the licence. (If one person cannot be present, there is a special circumstances protocol.) Many insurance businesses will sell marriage licences, as well as jewelers!

To see where else in Saskatchewan you can purchase a marriage license, check out this link.

*Note: You do not have to purchase a marriage licence in your home city/town, or in the city/town you intend to be married in. It just has to be issued in Saskatchewan.

When can I get married?

You can get married at anytime 24 hours after the purchase of your marriage license, or within 90 days of purchase.

What is the difference between a religious and civil ceremony? Are they both legal?

Both of these types of ceremonies are legal. There are basic legal requirements that need to be met in order to solemnize a marriage. A religious ceremony still has to meet the basic civil requirements but then has added religious connotations. A commissioner cannot add religion into their ceremonies. (Although the couple, if they wish, may choose to have religious readings or traditions in their ceremony lead by another speaker).

What is the difference between a legal ceremony and a personalized ceremony?

A legal ceremony has only what is required by law to have in a marriage ceremony. It is very short and to the point. Whereas, a personalized ceremony is tailored to your preferences as a couple. It still has all the legal parts but the ceremony script is a reflection of the couple. Here is a testimony that explains the process of developing a personalized script.

JoAnne met with us shortly after our engagement. The meeting was for each party to get to know each other and see she was the right fit, but no commitment necessary. JoAnne showed us the required legal parts of the ceremony and what would be made our own. After meeting JoAnne our decision was easily made. She made us feel comfortable and we knew our ceremony would be creative to our story. Shortly after our meeting and our decision to hire JoAnne as our marriage commissioner, she sent us a questionnaire to get to know us and our love story and what we admired in one another. After we submitted our answers JoAnne created the script for our ceremony and sent it to us for review. It was perfect. It was our love written into a beautiful story that would be part of our marriage ceremony. There was never any judgement and JoAnne supported us through every step of the way! JoAnne met us a few days before our wedding date and went over all the details again. We loved our meetings with JoAnne and always left happy, confident and excited for her to marry us. If JoAnne was in a business with a high customer return rate, we would chose her again and again! We have recommended her to our friends and family and have no regrets with our decision to include her in our wedding ceremony. Thanks, JoAnne! Calle & Brent

Does my name change automatically when I get married?

Nope! If you want to change your name after marriage, you can start using the new name on unofficial documents and social media right away. Legal changes won’t start until after you receive the Official Marriage Certificate from eHealth after the marriage.

How do I get a Marriage Certificate?

Your commissioner will give you an unofficial certificate upon the end of your ceremony, but the Official Certificate has to be ordered from eHealth Saskatchewan. It is good to wait a few weeks before ordering it to ensure all the paperwork has been processed. Follow this link to see the entire process.

I want a destination wedding, outside of Canada! How do I ensure it’s legal?

To totally ensure everything is valid you could do all the paperwork with your witnesses and commissioner here before you go, and then have the formal and symbolic ceremony there. To be married with a Saskatchewan marriage licence, all the legal requirements need to take place within Saskatchewan. This link has great information about getting married overseas.

We want a friend/family member to marry us! Do they have to become a marriage commissioner?

Well, yes and no. Your friend could get a license, but in Saskatchewan you’re not really supposed to get a license for one individual ceremony as marriage commissioners are to be available to anyone who asks.

However, there are options for having a friend perform the bulk of the ceremony, and then the commissioner would have to step in for the legal requirements which only take a few short minutes.

How does CoVid19 affect my wedding?

The Government of Saskatchewan has set out guidelines for most businesses and events including weddings. The provincial guidelines change to reflect changes in the pandemic situation. I will adhere to the guidelines set out on the day of your wedding. If you need more information about CoVid19 you can click here.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me!

Information from the Government of Saskatchewan regarding Marriages, Name Changes and Marriage Licenses.

Saskatchewan.ca: Marriages